Okay, so I am barely part of the glee fandom here on tumblr anymore, but last night’s episode was just too awful for me not to write anything about it. Even if I’m not constantly fangirling I’ve been a HUGE fan and constant viewer over the years. I have never missed an episode since season 1, sometime I even stayed up until crazy hours of the night just to watch a glee live stream, I’ve put up with all the crazy and insane plots and plot-holes, the constant personality twister, I’ve even justified Quinn’s numerous personality changes, as well as the ridiculous marriage plot lines (both Finchel and Klaine), I mean, even if I knew many things weren’t ok in the show anymore, my love and devotion for it were too strong for me to stop watching.
Well, after “A Katie or a Gaga” I may reconsider this decision, because it was like watching you favorite how fall apart in every aspect it could.
Let’s address the fact that they disguised SO BADLY the obvious ad for Katy and Gaga’s new albums with an awful theme week. This idea of dividing them into two teams was just so overdone and nonsense, plus the costumes and performances were really terrible. I liked Wide Awake only because it was luckily turned down from the mess the other performances were.
But let’s also talk about the plot:
- Sam and the nurse just randomly being a couple without no one saying anything. I mean, It’s not the first student-“teacher” relationship I see in tv, Aria and Ezra in PLL are the first example that comes to my mind, but at least they constantly portray this relationship as “inappropriate” throughout the show, both Aria and Ezra know that, sending the message that that kind of relationship is not ok. Here, no one says anything, I don’t know if it’s because it’s a woman and a boy and so it’s more acceptable in RM eyes.
- Marley getting suspended for NOT wearing a seashell bikini. I though they couldn’t write Will’s character any worse, but they really topped themselves. It’s ridiculous even for Glee. Plus, I don’t think that any teacher EVER would suspend a student because they put their personal life in front of a show choir competition. I’ll just address the bare plot here, because analyzing how they made 5 men just humiliate a girl for not wanting to be naked on stage, thus stating that it’s wrong. would be just result in a series of very bad words and curses directed to RM and whoever thought this was a good idea to put in the episode.
- Marley and Jake’s storyline seems like the most believable in the whole episode, and I’ve said it all. The crash between the good girl and the womanizer was inevitable, I wish it wasn’t this poorly written though. Marley doesn’t put out, Jake goes to Bree. And saying that Jake looked like he had been forced by aliens to go ask Bree to have “fun together” would be an understatement. That should have been “in character” but Jake seemed so out of it, even this storyline gets boring.
- Even NYC was really crappy surprisingly. Since there’s no more Quinn as the show’s own personality shifter, they started doing it to Kurt. And everyone else in NYC. I mean, a BAND, REALLY?? We’ve all known these 3 Lima kids in NY were divas, they barely could stand each other’s presence in a duet, now suddenly they all want to perform together? This is so out of character.
- Rachel’s behavior during the episode was non-sense. I know you can’t grieve forever on a show, and I know Lea has a right to move one, but I find it terrible to hear her sing and dance like nothing ever happened when the supposed love of her life died last episode. It’s tricky talking about these things since Cory really passed away and I can’t judge Lea for - maybe - not wanting to go back to that pain forever, but it seemed a bit “disrespectful” for her character to behave like nothing changed after so little time.
- Kitty, Unique and Tina where the only enjoyable characters, as well as Adam Lambert’s performance and Sue, who suddenly became the voice of wisdom of the show (her “one can be all pop icons at once” speech and the suspension for the insane outfits). I think that says it all about this show’s continuity.
I’m really sorry if this rant upsets you, but it comes from a fan who loved this show to death and saw it die in front of its eyes. Maybe I’ll try to catch up from time to time, but certainly the show will never be the same again